Friday 15 January 2010

Elite Series 1 Rey Mysterio

Photobucket

The other day, I received Elite Series 1 MVP, 2-Pack Series 1 Glamarella and the figure I'm reviewing right now; Elite Series 1 Rey Mysterio. In the time it took me to complete this review, I have received other figures too. They are; One full set of 2-Packs Series 2 (Finlay/Hornswoggle, Miz/Morrisson, Primo/Carlito), WrestleMania Heritage Randy Orton and the Basic Series 1 box set of 6 (loose). I am also expecting in the post an American store exclusive Edge and John Cena with toy belt and DVD. While I don't expect to be able to review every figure I get, I'll review my favourites so don't be suprised if you see an image of a figure I haven't reviewed yet popping up in another review. I'll also take requests via the comment box, I've set it up so that non-members of Blogspot can leave comments.

Packaging

I didn't take a picture of the packaging because I was too excited to open it and I had already posted photos of the Elite CM Punk's box. Rey comes in the same style box. The figure is fixed in the package with clear rubber bands. The bubble allows for the figure to be visible so is good for MOC collectors. But I opened mine up, so less of the boring stuff...

Head Scan/ Part Sculpt

Photobucket

Since he wears a mask, it's quite difficult to judge if the figure actually has a good likeness. The details on the mask is fine- the straps on the back are raised up and some of the detail on the mask is also raised. The head shape makes him look a bit weird because it's perfectly round. They haven't quite captured Rey's jaw line properly which makes something seem off about the figure.

The part sculpt on the figure is very good. The torso choice is perfect to a certain extent, Rey isn't that skinny but his muscle definition is very similar to this. I've got a feeling it could be unique to Rey as nobody else in WWE at the moment would suit it. His pants mould is also very well done and will be unique to him (because of the size of the figure).

Photobucket

I don't know if this is a sculpting problem or a lack of paint, but I've put it in the sculpting section as it could have been easily rectified with a tiny bit of paint, but would look a bit odd. The gloves on both hands have a part sculpted to the arm ( a kind of wrist strap). The left hand is fitted perfectly but the right hand there is a gap between the hand and the arm. It is painted with Rey's skin tone, so i think it was meant to have been a little further down on the arm (so there is no visible skin tone).

The shoes/boots are also specifically made for Rey. They are very sinilar to what he wears and aren't just generic lace-up boots like we've seen on previous attempts at his figures.

Articulation

Photobucket

Rey has Elite articulation which means he has added points of articulation such as double jointed knees and torso cut. There is also some articulation at the ankle. It seems like the foot is connected to the ankle with a ball joint to allow accurate movement for the foot.

Paint

The paint application on the figure is top notch. I was a little apprehensive before buying the figure because I wanted to be sure the tattoos were accuratley placed but I couldn't wait for them to hit shops over here (the UK). So I ordered it online. I'm very happy with the tattoos and where they're placed.

Photobucket

The logos on each leg are nice and big, exactly how they should be (unlike some previous Jakks figures which had small logos on the thigh only.)

Photobucket

Accessories

The elite figures all come with accessories. Rey comes with a black t-shirt and the hood thing he gives to a fan during his entrance. The shirt just goes over his head, the sides are cut out to accuratley represent the way he sometimes wears t-shirts. The hood fits snug on his head. I tried to fit it onto Chris Jericho's head but it wouldn't go, so I think it was specifically made for Rey. It's not a cloth hood like it would be in real life, it's made of plastic.

Photobucket

I'm going to include his elbow pads in this section. I wouldn't really talk about elbow pads as they aren't really an accesory but an expected part of the attire. The elbow pads slightly restrict the elbow articulation. They aren't too bad, but I hope in the future that Mattel makes pads out of slightly softer material.

Comparison/Scale

Photobucket
This image shows and Elite Series 1 Edge and 2-Packs Series 1 Jericho with Rey. Rey is shorter than the two of these in real life and seems to be in scale in figure form too.
Photobucket

This is a shot of Elite Rey and a Ruthless Aggression (Jakks Pacific) Rey. I took image to give you an idea of how short the Elite Rey actually is.


Other Images

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment: